Sunday, March 4, 2007

Kasidi's puppies

Sunday 4th of March

We managed to weigh the puppies today but I think It will be the last time as they are now too big for the scales ,they are all in the region of 4 pounds. Ariel remains the biggest puppy.

Kasidi is still being a good mum but one little thing she does is causing my current state of utter exhaustion. At night and only at night, she insists in rucking up the synthetic sheepskin (veterinary bedding) that the puppies lie on. This, in turn, leads to one or more of the puppies getting stranded in one of the corners of the whelping box and when they hear the other puppies feeding they cry out ( at incredible volume) until I get up, straighten out the bedding and lift them to the their mum. By 02.30 this morning I had been up to them 3 times, so we are going to try and tape the bedding to the box, I know in my heart of hearts that this will make no difference. I am just going to have to put up with this until the pups are strong enough to overcome this themselves.

What is really lovely is the pups now respond to me when I sit in the box with them, they crawl towards me, sniffing and will suck on just about anything.

Brewster is showing a lot of interest in them and he is very gentle with them too. Does he know they are his puppies? I like to think so, but I cannot be sure.

Next week reaches a new in stage in their deveolpment in that they will begin to respond to sound and their vision will improve. Even though their eyes have opened, they cannot see at the moment.

I am praying for a good nights sleep. Fingers crossed.

No comments: