Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Motsi's puppies.


Wednesday 28th April.

The puppies are 2 weeks old today. They respond to me when I get into the box which is very pleasing. Their hearing must be kicking in too because they are also responding to my voice. Motsi is the most tolerant mum, her babies continue to be quite loud when they want something but she remains as calm as can be.I have stopped weighing them because they all look very plump and are certainly very lively when they are awake.

Motsi refused to go on the walk this morning because It was snowing, so I didn't force the issue. She is eating well and giving me no cause for concern which is really good.

I want to digress from the puppies a moment. Terror struck our little corner of paradise yesterday. Last evening Olivia and I were sat at the table eating our dinner when all of a sudden she jumped up and screamed "my god mum there's a fox on the garden" I immediately grabbed the camera and was able to get the above picture. I then shouted to the dogs, opened the door and all of them, mums included ran out and chased the fox into the woods. They all returned around 10 minutes later. Meantime, I went out to to discover the grizzly details. My lovely hen Lucy, who in the past I had nursed back to health and so enjoyed a very special bond with her was dead, her feathers scattered around the garden. A second chicken, still alive but fighting for every breath was euthanased. My falconry experience taught me to never allow suffering so I promptly put her out of her misery. Another chicken is still missing and I have to assume the fox took her off somewhere. What is staggering is the sheer brazenness of the fox, she must have been very hungry as our property is marked by all of our dogs and in the past we have relied on this to keep our chickens safe from predators.

No comments: