Sunday, April 25, 2010

Motsi's puppies.


Sunday 25th April.

I have spent a lot of time with Motsi's puppies today as I feel they have been a little in the shadow these last few days. I have replaced all of their collars, checked them for sinus and weighed them although, I only have to look at them to see they are all gaining weight beautifully.

I had my best nights sleep last night, Lela's puppies are silent where as Motsi's are still very demanding. She is so tolerant but they are hard work for her. One thing I have noticed and I have never seen this before is she is able to bring her milk down a second time just minutes after the first time. The process works by the puppies latch on to Motsi's teats and they stimulate the glands by suckling and kneading, they do this for up to 5 minutes and then the milk comes in. This is easy to see as all of a sudden the puppies tails becomes erect and wag slightly and you can hear furious gulping. It is a quick sudden spurt and usually does not last for long. The usual pattern is the puppies then fall asleep at the nipple full and contented but these puppies, after their first meal then begin the process all over again and bring on a second download of milk. I have bred 12 litters now and this is the first time I have witnessed this.

Motsi would not go out on the walk this morning because It was raining so gave her the benefit of the doubt. She continues to be a very good mum and is even a little more proficient in her housekeeping.

No comments: