Friday, April 16, 2010

Motsi's puppies.

Wednesday 14th April.

In the end Motsi's puppies came bang on time and I suspect she may have created a record in that she whelped 10 puppies in 5 hours.

I am always amazed by my own amnesia when It comes to the puppies which is why my entries on this blog are invaluable because we tend to forget the small details. Motsi started pacing and scratching around in her box on Tuesday afternoon, completely normal and It is what her mother mother Kasidi used to do. I persuaded myself that the puppies would probably arrive later that night so I stayed up with her. By morning she was tired with her exertions and promptly fell fast asleep for a good 3 hours. By around 11 am she started up again and I was fine until I read on the internet that the first stage should last 6-12 hours and anything more should be deemed an emergency and the vet called. Although common sense told me all was ok I started to panic. I rang my friend in MA for re-assurance and she told me what I already knew, no need to worry at this point.
By late afternoon her panting had become more purposeful and I realsed we were in business.

The first puppy was very painful for Motsi and all of my dogs, who were on the back garedn, responded when she let out a huge cry with the first puppy. He arrived at 5pm. Incredibly, by 10 pm It was all over, she had delivered 10 puppies, 7 boys and 3 girls and with the exception of one boy who has offset crown the ridges were all perfect.

Motsi is a good mum but I would be happier if she could relax just a little more. She seems loathe to lie really flat to allow all of the puppies access to her teats and she is favouring one side. My fear is some teats will get blocked and she will develop mastitus. Always something to worry about but that is the nature of the game. For me, no amount of experience and litters takes that worry away.

My other worry, especially with a big litter, is the fading puppy. Last night I was up to the puppies several times as It seemed there was always one crying. What happens in the larger litters is most pups will feed while one is asleep, when the sleeping puppy wakes the milk has gone. The puppy then cries because It is hungry. This only has to happen a few times and the puppy becomes to weak to feed and before you know It, a little puppy is going downhill fast.

I always have on hand a solution called stat. It is a very high calorie thick syrupy solution and is amazing at turning around weak puppies very quickly, enough so they have the strength to fight for their place at the 'milk bar"

I am very happy with the puppies this morning. They have all gained at least 2 ounces and all have nice fat stomachs.

Order that puppies were born.

1)Bently Male, perfect ridge, no kink, minimal white, no kink in tail and no sign of sinus. Wt 1.3oz

2)Legacy Bitch, perfect ridge,no kink in tail,minimal white,and no sign of sinus. Wt1.1oz

3)Cooper Male, perfect ridge, no kink in tail and no sign of sinus with minimla white. Wt 1.2oz.

4)Mustang male perfect ridge, no kink in tail and no sign of sinus. Minimal white. Wt 14oz

5)Jaguar male, perfect ridge, no kink in tail, no evidence of sinus and with minimal white. wt 1lb

6)Mercedes, Bitch, perfect ridge, no kink in tail, minimal white and no evidence of sinus, wt 14oz

7)Aston, Male, crowns offset on ridge but not hugely so, no kink in tail, minimal white and co evidence of sinus, wt 1lb

8)Lincoln Male, perfect ridge, no kink in tail, nosign of sinus and minimal white,wt 15oz

9)Eclipse male, perfect ridge, no kink in tail, minimal white and no evidence of sinus. wt 1lb

10) Porsche Bitch, perfect ridge, no kink in tail, minimal white and no evidence of sinus, wt1.1oz.

No comments: