Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Motsi's puppies.


Wednesday 21st April

The puppies are one week old today, almost double in size and progressing very nicely. I cant help comparing having a litter to having a baby in that If we remembered all of the details we would most probably never do It again. It is always an anxious time, for me anyway, as there is walways something to worry about in these early days. My worry at the moment is that Motsi has this strong urge to keep ruffling up the synthetic sheepskin I use in the whelping box. I understand her need to do this but It makes It quite dangerous for the puppies. When the fleece is laid out in an orderly manner they can get around the box very easily. When Motsi disturbs It they can become trapped underneath making them more susceptible to being trampled on, plus they sort of get lost and then become distressed.

Looking back through old books on breeding dogs the suggestion is, the breeder should always expect to loose at least one puppy in any litter. I have never lost a puppy yet and I know, the most conscientious of breeders have a high mortality rate within their litters It is because we take great steps to ensure the well being of all the puppies until such time when they are more independant. I was reminded of an e mail I received a couple of years from a guy in California who was about to have a first litter of puppies from his ridgeback bitch. I gave him as much advice as I could and directed him to my blog to give him an idea of a normal birth. The next day I received a mail to say he had woke up to find his bitch had given birth to 8 pups and only 2 had died. I was horrified but he appeared quite pleased.

I take Motsi's temperature every day in these early days as a rise would be an indicator that something is amiss. Retained products ie placenta can be a cause for infection and is quite common as is mastitis so I also check her teats and mammary glands.

Motsi is enjoying her walk with the rest of my dogs and I get immense pleasure seeing her running through woods enjoying the brief respite of responsibility from her pups.

Lela's temperature is still within normal limits so I dont think we will be seeing any action from her today and I am quite pleased by this. I am still in the process of catching up on lost sleep and another day is an added bonus as far as I am concerned. They will come soon enough. My second whelping box is good to go and we will bring it into the living room today.

No comments: