Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ruby's Puppies

Wednesday 1st August.

A huge apology for the pause but we have been experiencing major problems with our internet connection which is woeful at the best of times.

The puppies have entered that new phase where they are much more aware and respond to verbal and visual stimulation. They are so funny, they attempt to play with one another but fall over as they do not have the strength in their little bodies to support themselves for long.

My main concern is keeping them cool as we are having very hot ( for us anyway ) weather and tomorrow is going to be around 90 also.

When he was 15 days old we caught sight of Beckham leaning into Ruby's food bowl eating the remains of her dinner, so today I went out and bought puppy kibble, ground beef and milk replacer and tomorrow will be the day when they are introduced to raw meat.

I have been keeping their nails trimmed as they very quickly become extremely sharp and I will worm them for the first time tomorrow.

Motsi would spend all of her time in the whelping box if I allowed It. It is amazing to see this overwhelming desire to nurture even though she is a puppy herself. Ruby has been very good and If I know ruby like I think I do she will be very happy to hand over the responsibility of her puppies to someone else once they show signs of independence. Kasidi on the other hand is a little more wary of the young puppies but is wonderful as they become a little older.

Raiza shows very little interest in the puppies, whereas there was a time , when he was a youngster, when he too was very enthusiastic to muck in and help.

It is strange how things turn out, we had 6 boys in this litter and most of my enquiry's have been for boys. Just as well really.

No comments: