Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ruby's Puppies

Sunday 26th August.

When we moved to the US I decided not to register Ruby with the AKC as there was no reason to do so, when I decided to take another litter from her I obviously had to in order for her puppies to be registrable. I did this about 3 weeks ago thinking I was well within the timeframe of the puppies leaving to go to their new homes as usually It is very efficient. When her document arrived It said that foreign dogs now have to be on the DNA database for litters to be registrable so I applied for the DNA pack and took swabs from Ruby, Raiza because he will be my stud dog and Lela. I fully support the database as It is a sure way of identifying a dogs identity. Sadly there are breeders who are not always truthful about the dog on the pedigree and this is a way of knowing for sure the parentage of the dog. I just hope this does not delay my puppy litter registration.

The puppies continue to do well and are becoming quite independent when they are outside which is most of the time. They will go to the vets next Tuesday and Thursday for their medical.

I behaved like an over anxious mother on Friday, I though Posh had a chest infection. When I went to the puppies first thing as I always do to clean up (not for the faint hearted) and give them their breakfast I noticed that she was coughing and her I thought her chest sounded rattly so at 8 am I made an emergency appt and took her to the vets. I felt a little silly because by the time she arrived she was absolutely fine, temp normal, chest clear and no coughing and we decided that perhaps she choked a little on her breakfast. Still, I would rather be safe than sorry.

I can't believe that some of the puppies will be leaving in about weeks time, It has gone so quickly.

Kasidi has come into season so she will be going to my friend Rachel who has kindly agreed to take her. This will avoid fall out from the boys. I don't know if Lela if will come into season soon, she usualy does, so I will have to decide whether to breed from her or wait until next year.

No comments: