Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Motsi's puppies.


Wednesday 5th May.

Motsi's puppies are enjoying their introduction to solid food. I always start the pups on raw beef as It easy for them to eat, is relatively mess free and I feel It gives their gut a good intro to solid food and they love It. I always love that first moment when they are offered that first little bit of meat. At first they spit It out as they don't quite know what to with It but then, when they get the taste and smell of It, they go crazy and It is amazing just how much they can consume. This is the start of less demand for Motsi and boy does she know this. Ruby, her grandma was always the best of mothers but she was always happy to relinquish the responsibility of feeding to me. I suspect Motsi is going to be the same.

My only concern and It is a very small one, is Bently. He is a little smaller than the rest of the puppies so I am very mindful of his progress. I actually put him in Lela's box on Monday night for a while and even though she was very good and let him feed from her, she would not clean up after him. The fact he had just been wormed and started on meat I am sure, had something to do with It but I did not leave him with Lela for long. This morning he was reluctant to eat meat even though I kept putting It into his mouth. He reminds me of a Kasidi/Raiza puppy from a few years back. His name was Kodak and he really fell behind his littermates and for a while I was supplementing his intake. He continued to be small up until 8 weeks or so. He went to live in Canada with a lovely family and only last week I received amazing photo's of him in the mountains, in deep snow, while his family were skiing. He has matured into a really beautiful dark red very big boy. A lesson to us all that genetics determines the final outcome of how the dog develops, providing of course he is well fed.

No comments: