Monday, April 21, 2008

Ruby and Kasidi

Monday 21st April.

During the weekend It became quite obvious to Mark and I that kasidi's puppies were definitely more fractious than Ruby's and the only difference we could come up with was the antibiotics that Kasidi was taking for her mastitis. So, yesterday afternoon I decided that, as she had been taking for them 8 days, I would stop them and what a difference It made. I got up once during the night at 03.30 and It was infact Ruby's puppy and had my ears not been on ultra alert I would not have heard the pup anyway.

The pressure inside the whelping box must be intense for both of the girls at times so I always encourage them to come on the walk in the morning and Kasidi came with us for the first last time Friday. It was so lovely seeing the girls running through woods with the other dogs, their responsibilities put aside for a while. Psychologically It must be so good for them to have that small break. What is funny is on the return home they are both out in front and when we reach the back door they both compete to get to their respective box first.

I checked all of the puppies for sinus again today and just generally gave them a good going over. Alex cut the nails of Ruby's pups yesterday and I will do kasidi's later this afternoon.

They are all gaining weight and are all looking very plump. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so much so, that I have switched the heat lamps off. A small saving on my enormous electricity bill.

I have always used the extra thick vetbed for my dogs which is a synthetic sheepskin and is excellent for puppies. It always keeps the puppy dry as liquid seeps through to the bottom plus It is very warm and cozy. It is available everywhere back home and everyone uses it but I have only been able to find one place in Florida that sells It but It is not the thick one that I like. Mark, much to his annoyance, brings my vetbed from England in an extra suitcase.

Ruby's pups eyes have opened and their ears look more normal and they all look like proper little dogs now. They have very dark masks and my favourite is Sawyer which is silly really as I should not have a favourite at this early stage.

No comments: