Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ranger

Saturday 13th October.

Well, Ranger has arrived, and, so far, I am really pleased with the way things have gone. I have not introduced him to the boys yet as that will have to be handled very carefully but he is integrated with the girls. Kasidi was the least welcoming and was aggressive towards towards him in the first instance but has now warmed a little towards him. Ruby basically ignores him and Lela and Motsi think he is great fun. He follows me everywhere and is here by my side as I type.

I am trying to be objective here but he is veryhandsome. He has an incredible front with a prominent prosternum which I love. He is very big, maybe too big, but has balance and will look even better when he has lost a little weight and acquired hardened conditioned muscles. His angulation is very good both front and rear and he has good breadth through his quarters. He has been very gentle, impeccably behaved so far and very loving. My only worry to date is he has not been to the toilet.

So, tomorrow he will come on the walk but we will have Brewster and him on the lead and we will take things step by step. I will leave Raiza at home on this first outing as he is, I think going to be a little more difficult, but I have no doubts that we can integrate Ranger pretty quickly into the pack. He will not pose a threat to Raiza as he is castrated, having said that, he has already humped Lela so he really does take after his dad.

Whatever the outcome for Ranger, I sense already that It will be very difficult for me to part with him , I look at him and see Kasidi and Brewster and love him.

I want to keep him here with me and see how he handles different situations and then, when I think he is ready, I will think about re-homing him, but only to a home that is very well acquainted with this incredible breed.

No comments: