Monday, May 28, 2007

Dog things

Monday 28th May.

It is well documented that Ridgebacks have the ability to jump high fences from a standstill position. I have never had a jumper until now.

A couple of weeks ago Mark and I created a compound for the dogs. It used the side of our barn and two sides of the electric fence from our paddock. We installed, for the front end and gate, one of those wire kennels that can be found at Tractor supply and are seen just about everywhere.

It must be about 7 feet high. Anyway we don't use it very often but when we do Lela always manages to get out. I assumed she was sacrificing being nipped by the fence in order to get out, that was until Saturday. I could not believe my eyes when I saw Lela from a standing position, look up, jump and scale the fence with very little effort. She sort of balanced herself on the top of the fence and then flipped her self over. The ease with she managed to get out was incredible. Fortunately Lela does not wander and we only created it to have somewhere to put the dogs occasionally so I am not too upset.

Sam, Alex and myself went to Unadilla yesterday for a BBQ with the family of Hamlet now known as Adia and Puck now known as Kinta. We took Motsi, Caesar and Paris and had a truly wonderful time. It was so rewarding for me seeing all of the puppies get together and play. They were well and truly shattered when we got home and are still tired this morning.

Very disturbing for me was hearing about the experience Kinta's family had with the vet when they took him for his rabies vaccination. They were told that they had a month to "get him sorted" and they were told to hold his jaw shut and stare at him for a couple of minutes to exert dominance. This exercise was to be repeated several times a day. To say I was angry with this advice is an under statement and I would love to know what needs to be sorted in a month. They were also advised to have him castrated at 4 months. I could start a new blog on both of these issues but I have decided to create a page on my website that offers help and advice on training the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Yes, It is very important to establish alpha status with a new puppy but Rhodesian Ridgebacks are very sensitive dogs and certainly do not respond to harsh over the top treatment. They also have incredible memories.

Regarding castration at 4 months. I simply do not understand why 4 months is the recommended age. I pointed out to Charlie., Kinta's owner that male dogs rely on Testosterone to develop muscle and the powerful build that essentially makes them male. Castrate them at such an early age and this development is denied.

One of the bitches from Kasidi's first litter was spayed at 4 months and now has problems with incontinence. I am sure that 4 months is not the recommended age for spay/neutering in the UK but I will check this out and report back.

No comments: