Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dogs and things

Saturday 23rd of March.

Dermoid Sinus is a condition that is prevalent in our breed and although I have never had a puppy with this condition I strive to take preventative measures against It. Current recommendations are to administer high doses of folic acid to pregnant bitches.
Dermoid sinus can be likened to spina bifada in humans. The recommended dose is 5 mg and I have been administering folic acid prior to mating Kasidi as It was a planned mating and to Ruby from the first day of mating. Anything that can eliminate this condition from our breed is good enough for me.

All of my animals have fallen out with me this week as everyone has been wormed, the cats in particular are very upset with me. Kasidi arrived at day 40 today so she has commenced her daily worming regime. I camouflage the bitter tasting medicine with cream and It seems to do the trick. Both she and Ruby know the routine now of receiving their medication, the folic acid is presented to them either wrapped in a piece of ham or enveloped in philly cheese and they absolutely love it.

Both girls are growing by the day, Ruby outwards and Kasidi downwards. Its incredible how differently they carry their puppies.

My daughter Olivia, who usually is my right hand man during whelping will be in Spain this time around so I am currently looking for someone to help me with the puppies. Mark, I suspect will be in the Uk so I might have to tempt Alex, my son, with some financial incentive. Four out of the five litters i have had have arrived during the night. It would be a miracle if the puppies could arrive during the day but somehow I think they will come during the night.

No comments: