Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ranger

Tuesday 27th November.

Poor Ranger had to go to the vets last week as he was spiked by the porcupine and unfortunately for him the quills were mainly in his mouth and tongue. He was very distressed by the incident but I took him to the vets immediately and they were removed under anaesthetic. He was put on anti biotics as his nose was very swollen. I just hope this incident taught him to stay well clear of porcupines.

In my previous entry I forgot to mention that the quills should be snipped with scizzors before removal to relieve the air thus releasing the vacuum.

Last Wednesday morning we let the dogs out for their first wee as usual and Kasidi and Lela did not come back, Mark and I were a little alarmed as It is hunting season. A little later we set off on our walk and as we approached the first field we walk through we found what had been the big attraction for the girls. There was a dead deer that had just started to be eaten by something and thereafter by my dogs. We had great difficulty moving the dogs on as here was a feast just begging to be had. Later that afternoon and over the next day all of the dogs at some point sneaked off to the dear and the next day as we walked by It was just a skeleton with a head. The bones had been stripped off the flesh and the next day after that even the head had gone. The efficiency of our local predators plus my dogs ate what must have been around 160 pounds of flesh in just over 2 days. Lela and Kasidi look at least 12 pounds heavier and have had terrible flatulence. They are now on diets and are not impressed that their food has been reduced.

I sometimes marvel at how we have adjusted to living in these wild surroundings, back home there was never anything to worry about in terms of wildlife and of course we did not have the fear of rabies as the UK is rabies free. The dogs are showing the scars of battling with the wildlife. Ruby came back from her walk with a large scratch on her nose the other day and I have no idea where it came from. I remain philosophical though, and will never stop the dogs doing what makes them happy and If something happens to them, well, they were living their life to the full.

Ranger has lost weight and is looking very good at the moment, he is very loyal to me and if I allowed him to he would follow me everywhere. It is going to take someone very special to come along before i let him go to a new home. I will try to get some photo's up of him as soon as the swelling on his nose has gone down.

No comments: