Friday, June 22, 2007

Dog things

Friday 22nd June.

I arrived back on Monday night and the first thing I noticed was the change in shape in Ruby and judging by her voracious appetite for anything raw, I think it can be safely assumed she is pregnant. During her last pregnancy three and a half years ago, she caught and ate a rabbit (fur as well) two days before her puppies were born. Raw meat is definitely her craving.

It was wonderful coming home to the dogs especially the two puppies who I have decided to keep. Caesar will be called Ozymandias (Ozzy for short)

During the first weekend of my stay in England I went along to the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club Of Great Britains open show . It was so good meeting up with friends but even more so, seeing the dogs. There must have been over 100 Ridgebacks and what struck me was the bone and substance of all of the dogs. Ridgebacks in the US tend to be finer somehow than their European counterparts and I think, for the showring, the British dogs are kept a little heavier, they were though, magnificent.

It would seem that some vets back home are now recommending early castration too, but non of the breeders I spoke to support this, so It is interesting that this clash is developing.

I now have 10 copies of the superb Imbali way of training the Ridgeback puppy so If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy I will be more than happy to send one through the post. All I ask is that you send It back to me when you have finished with it.

Kasidi stayed with my friend Rachel while I was away, mainly because Rachel loves her so much and relished the idea of having her for a couple of weeks. She accompanied Rachel to her picture framing shop in Delhi everyday and I believe she is now the toast of the town. I think Rachel secretly hoped that she would get to keep her but we could never consider such a thing. It was good for the puppies, I think, to have some independence from their mum, but boy, were they all pleased to be reunited. I had to put the puppies in their crate as the play became very bostrious. Even Brewster surpassed himself, who since his castration, now plays with the pups all of the time.

I am very excited for Ruby as she has always been a superb mother and she has always tended Kasidi's puppies and as for Raiza, well, we are pleased he had It in him as we were begining to worry. The pups will be due around the 16th of July, and for me, It will be the first summer litter which will make everything so much easier.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Ruby!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the blog entries coming...we anxiously await the updates! Max sends his love to his grandmother and hopes for an easy pregnancy and delivery!

Unknown said...

Great to see such gorgeous puppies. I hope things are going well for you and Mark out there. All the best. Frank (at Company Net)

Anonymous said...

Hi - Great blog, I enjoyed reading it. One thing however, I was disappointed to hear you lending out copies of the Imbali Way. Much effort and experience has gone into these pages. Also, Sue does much work with the South UK ridgeback rescue so - albeit inadvertantly (its great that you are making people aware of it), you are harming the breed as revenue from it helps run the rescue....Please post a link to the Imbali site. Thanks. Stewart.

Rosiethross said...

Hello Stewart, I agree with everything you say about Sue and the fabulous work she does for rescue at the southern club. I have bought many copies of her training manual for my puppies families but she also knows and gives her permission for some to be used on a round robbin basis.